Expunctions and Nondisclosures

Everyone makes mistakes but you don’t have to have these mistakes forever recorded on your criminal record. A record expunction is not available for everyone but for those who are, a record expunction will completely erase your criminal record. For example, if you were arrested but never had a case filed against you or were found not guilty you should contact the Miller Law Group to find out if this is something that is available to you.

A nondisclosure petition will prevent your record from being available to the general public. If you have completed a deferred adjudication probation you might be eligible for a non-disclosure. Even though a non-disclsoure will remain on your record this can be a huge step in putting the past behind you. Let the past remain in the past and not damage your future.  Contact the Expunction and Nondisclosure Lawyers at Miller Law Group today: 713-866-6233.

FAQ’s for Nondisclosure

Why is an Order of Non-Disclosure beneficial?

It prevents all government agencies from accessing any criminal record related to your charge. Having your record sealed can be helpful when looking for employment, enrolling in school, renting or buying a residence, etc.

What types of criminal records can be sealed?

Misdemeanors and felonies

What are the eligibility requirements?

If you successfully completed deferred adjudication probation, you may qualify. However, each petition is judged independently and based on its own merit.

Is it possible to become ineligible after being found eligible?

Yes. If you are subsequently convicted or deferred adjudication and your prior offense has a waiting period you may disqualify.

How long must I wait before I can petition the court for my misdemeanor conviction?

For most misdemeanors, immediately after the deferred adjudication is discharged and the case is dismissed. Some require a two (2) year waiting period.

How long must I wait before I can petition the court for my felony conviction?

A five (5) year waiting period is required for such crimes as:

  • Abuse of a corpse
  • Abusive or silent 911 calls
  • Aiding in suicide
  • Assault
  • Bigamy
  • Cruelty to animals
  • Deadly conduct
  • Destruction of an American flag
  • Disorderly conduct
  • Dog fighting
  • False alarm
  • Filing a false report
  • Harassment
  • Harboring a runaway
  • Indecent exposure
  • Public lewdness
  • Terroristic threat
  • Unlawful possession of a firearm
  • Unlawful restraint or transport

What crimes cannot be sealed?

Felony crimes such as:

  • Abandoning or endangering a child
  • Aggravated kidnapping
  • All offenses requiring sex offender registration
  • Capital murder
  • Injury to a child, disabled person, or elderly person
  • Murder
  • Stalking
  • Violation of a protective order
  • Violence, or a threat of violence, against a relative or housemate

Can juvenile offenses be sealed?

Yes. It is important to know that juvenile offenses are not automatically sealed. Doing so will require the same process as adult offenses.

What happens if my Order of Nondisclosure is violated?

Any person or agency that violated this order will face civil sanctions. The Attorney General’s Office will issue a warning a first offense but successive violations will result in a civil penalty and fine.

Contact Houston Expunction Attorney Gary Miller

At the Miller Law Group, we will work hard from the moment we take your case, acting early and decisively for the best possible results. Contact a skilled Houston criminal lawyer as soon as possible. Call us at 713-866-6233.